Sunday, November 14, 2010

finishing up loose ends: tic tac toe game pieces

On the eve of twelve (plus) days of traditions, I figured that I better tie up a loose end. 

Remember this?

No . . . well, that might be because I did this gameboard months ago . . . promising at the end of that tutorial that I would be posting a game piece tutorial soon.  (Here's the tutorial for the gameboard.)  Apparently, in my world, soon is a relative thing.  For example, "soon" could mean two months later.

So . . . here are the game pieces that I did - on one side you can play tic tac toe with the bat and ball pieces and on the other side you can practice pattern and shape recognition the shape pieces.

Here's what you need:
~felt in various colors
~embroidery thread
~felt glue

Here's what you do:
1)  Cut out circles or preferred game piece shape to fit the size of your tic tac toes spaces . . . two circles per piece for ten pieces . . . 20 circles total.  

2)  Draw baseball seams on one side of 5 of the circles with permanent marker and embroider over with a V-stitch.

3)  Use felt glue to attach these five circles to five other circles.

4)  Cut out bat shapes from felt and use embroidery thread to attach to another five circles.  (I used a pattern that I hand drew for bat shapes.)  Use embroidery thread to sew these five circles to the remaining five.

5)  Cut out shapes in and use felt glue to attach to opposite sides of bats and balls. 

Finished Pieces

I matched these pieces with the theme of the fabric on the other side of the fabric gameboard.  Use your imagination for your own pieces . . . options are endless.  I will also be including a little "idea sheet" for matching and pattern games to play with the shape side of the game pieces.

Craft on!
Check out the great parties I may link to by clicking on the blog name below or visiting my "I like to party" page that shows off all the party buttons.  These gals go to a lot of work to host these parties.  If you particpate in parties please take time to look through a variety of the projects linked up.  They are a great source of inspiration!


Weekend - a little lovely, Craft Envy, Under the Table and DreamingBe Different Act Normal, A Vision to Remember, 504 Main - Tickled Pink, Funky Junk Interiors, Tatertots and Jello, I heart naptime


Monday - Keeping it Simple, Craft-O-Maniac, The Girl Creative, The Trendy Treehouse, CRAFT, Making the World Cuter, Mad in Crafts, Sumo's Sweet Stuff, Between Naps on the Porch, Tools Are For WomenIt's So Very Cheri, Skip to My Lou, Sew Can Do, Polly Want a Crafter, Texas Monkey


Tuesday - All Thingz Related, Sugar Bee, New Nostalgia, Creative Itch, Lucky Star Lane, Hope Studios, These Creative Juices, My Delicious Ambiguity, Today's Creative Blog-Get Your Craft On!,


Wednesday - It's So Very Cheri, Beyond the Picket Fence, Blue Cricket DesignTrendy Treehouse, Tea Rose HomeSomeday Crafts, My Backyard Eden, Sew Much Ado, Night Owl Crafting


Thursday -  Fireflies and Jellybeans, Life As Lori, House of Hepworths, Somewhat Simple, Seven Thirty Three, The Train to Crazy, PonyTails and FishScales


Friday - The Sabby Nest, A Little Knick Knack, Fingerprints on the Fridge, It's Fun to Craft!, It's a Hodgepodge Life, Kojo Designs, Simply Sweet Home, Frou Frou Decor, Remodelaholic, Momma's Kinda Crafty

8 comments:

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

Wow! I love this, Elizabeth! This is a great gift idea for a couple of kids on my list. Thanks for the tutorials!

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} said...

Oh the baseballs. Too cute!! I love that they're reversible and you get two toys out of one!

Papgena Made It said...

Well, better late then ever! :)
'Roma e Pavia não se fizeram num dia!!' (Rome and Pavia were not make in a day!)
They are great, so it was a job well done, it was worth the wait!
;)

Jenn said...

Another great tuturial, Elizabeth! love it! I am thinking of different patterns for each family member {all 5 of us} so we can have this for the car ~ or whenever ~ and can each have our own markers. So cool. :)

Unknown said...

I love how the pieces turned out! Soon is a very relative term at my house (and blog) too, right there along with "the other day" -- soon means at some point in the foreseeable future (and I can see a loooong way...) and the other day means at some point in the rememberable past. :)

janimal said...

Very cool project. Me likey!

And what a linky list - wowza that's a lot of parties!

stephaniegiese said...

OMG I LOVE the baseball theme!!!!

I would love to have you join me & link these up for my first party!

http://binkiesandbriefcases.blogspot.com/2010/11/introducing-mommy-made-monday.html

Unknown said...

That is cute as heck! I am thinking of making it for Grandpa to keep around to entertain the kids. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails