Thursday, April 8, 2010

tonight i'm making bread . . . it's a slow process

I thought that making bread from felt would be easier than baking bread from flour.  I was wrong . . . very, very, very wrong.  Originally, my over-achieving self was going to repurpose a Sara Lee bread bag by filling it with a dozen or so slices of felt bread.  I can say that after one night of making felt bread that my girls will be lucky to get four pieces of bread total - enough for each to make a sandwich.  I worked for over an hour, and this is as far as I got.
Yes, that's one side of one piece of bread stitched to the crust about a fourth of the way around.  That's what I have to show for 70 minutes of my life . . . yikes!

Here are a few more pictures of my 70 minutes of bread making:

This is me actually tracing a piece of bread to get the shape of my felt pieces.  I can honestly say that I've never had a reason to trace food before, so this was kind of fun.  (And yes, I did put the bread back in the bag afterwards.  Shhh . . . don't tell my husband.)  I had just enough oatmeal colored felt to make two pieces.  Looks like I will be making another trip to the craft store at some point.

If you've been reading along since January, you know my struggle with using a rotary cutter.  If you haven't, let me catch you up to speed . . . I have serious trouble using a rotary cutter.  There, you're caught up.  But I managed to use one tonight to make my crust.  I measured out a half-inch and used a few of the tricks that many of you passed on to me in January during my angst-filled introduction to the rotary cutter and cutting mat, and the crust piece turned out almost straight.  Little victories!

So my journey with making food has begun.

Craft on!

1 comment:

Polly @ Pieces by Polly said...

Hahaha...I love that you traced a piece of real bread. Brilliant!

Related Posts with Thumbnails