Monday, April 5, 2010

make it: your own page and pen holder


I know . . . I know . . . I'm supposed to be working on my ninth craft till Christmas.  I had the best of intentions of posting about which felt craft I decided to work on throughout April. (Thanks so much to those who offered their input!)  But . . . then last night I lost something, and I decided enough is enough.  You see, I am really good at misplacing things . . . keys, papers, socks, the TV remote, my children. (Well, that's not true.  I've never misplaced my children, but it's not for lack of trying.)  If I had a tally for the most often misplaced item it would without a doubt be pens, pencils, highlighters, any sort of writing utensil.  (Michael, if you are reading this, stop laughing!)  For me, the most frustrating moment to lose a pen is when I'm reading a book and need to underline a quote or passage that I'm going to want to reference later.  This has been an annoying problem since college when I spent large amounts of time looking for pens and highlighters so that I could study. 

Last night I had enough!  So tonight I came up with a solution to my problem in this cross between a page-holder and a pen-holder.  Check it out and make one for an avid reader, college student, friend or co-worker in your life who is always looking for a pen. 

The best part about this project is that it uses supplies you probably already have on hand:
  • 2 - 11 x 3.5 inch rectangles of fabric (You may want to vary the length depending on the size of book you are hoping to use this for.  These measurements will work for a book from 7 to 10 inches in length.)
  • 1 - 4 x 2  inch rectangle in a contrasting color
  • 1 button or 2 if you want to try to make this for very different sized books
  • 1 - 23 inch strip of thin elastic
1)  Take 4 x 2 piece and fold in 1/8 inch so that wrong sides are touching on both long sides and one short side.  Iron.  Double fold remaining short side and iron.

2)  Sew the edge of the double folded side.

3) Sew three sides of small piece on the top 11 x 3.5 piece leaving the double fold side open at the top.  This is the pen holder.

4)  Sew button on below pen holder.

5)  Fold the elastic and sandwich it in between the two 11 x 3.5 right sides together.  Sew around outside edge leaving an inch or two open to turn.

6)  Clip corners and trim edges. 

7)  Turn so that right sides are facing out.

8)  Fold in opening and sew around edge closing open as you go.

9)  Grab a good book, your favorite pen and start reading.
Craft on!
  
Beyond The Picket Fence









23 comments:

Unknown said...

That's cool! Something my daughter would like. I'm gonna have to try it!

Unknown said...

Good stuff, Elizabeth. I laughed, but not too hard! Great work! You're so creatively crafty!

Anne said...

What a great gift idea!! I linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-fabric-bookmark-and-penholder/2010/04/08/

--Anne

Erika Mulvenna said...

This is a great tutorial! I caught it over at Craft Gossip.com - great stuff. Have you also checked out the sewing projects over at www.WeAllSew.com? WeAllSew is a project connecting stitchers to sewing inspiration, including volunteer opportunities to sew for those less fortunate. I think you'd like it!
-Erika

Sandra :) said...

Hi! I found a link to your blog at Craft Gossip and came over for a peek - I really like this craft, and I also like your blog - lots of fun and lots of crafting - I've subscribed so won't miss any of your posts :D

nancy said...

I had to do a double take on your craft....had this idea in my mind for myself just recently, only instead of a pen, I think you should make the pocket larger for those of us who misplace our reading glasses just when we sit down to read! Super job on the craft!!!

Polly @ Pieces by Polly said...

Great Idea! My hubby would love it.

Anonymous said...

I have to tell you that this is incredibly smart and simple. Whoever said "Necessity is the mother of invention" was really talking about women and mothers. Some of us just are amazing. Anyway, i love this and will be making it. It will be great for my scripture reading.

Laura in AZ

Anonymous said...

I love this! I am going to make one for my bible and one for my books! What an awesome craft!

Unknown said...

I really like this! Necessity is the mother of invention. Can't believe someone didn't do this ages ago. And a very unique gift! Add some fun embellishments and they can be personalized. You could go into mass production (in your spare time) !!

Anonymous said...

Very very COOL. I am going to try this today! Thank You!

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

That is so cool! I love that it holds a pen too! :)

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

Now this I need--I never can find my pens or pencils when doing bible study and don't like big bulky book holders!

Laura said...

This is such a cool idea. I love the fabrics you used!

I'm having a blog party tomorrow and I'd love it if you linked up!
http://www.iamalongfortheride.blogspot.com

Maria@BubblegumandDuctTape said...

oh my goodness, you have made my day! thanks so much for coming up with something I sooooo need. Hope you're having a wonderful weekend.

Elena said...

It's very nice!
Thank you very much!
If you want to see my bookmark visits mine blog
http://rosaconfetto.blogspot.com/2010/05/segnalibri-in-tessuto_05.html
Bye, Elena

Bird said...

Another geniius idea! :)

Thanks for linking up!

Hugs,
Bird

Misty @Creative Itch said...

Cute idea!! I'd love it if you'd link up at my "Sew Cute Tuesday" link party!! You can check it out at http://thecreativeitchboutique.blogspot.com

Mad in Crafts said...

Love it! Grads would love this in a slightly bigger size for textbooks, I bet!

Thanks for linking up to the Mad Skills party!

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} said...

I went way back huh? ;)
But I'm so glad I did!!! This is fantastic. It's going on my list of things for my daughters stocking. Ok - technically this is the first thing on the list, but that counts right?? Thanks for the idea!

Suzanne said...

Very clever! Simple construction and quite useful. Thanks!

Noel@2faboosh.com said...

I love this gift idea! We are doing a homemade Christmas and this will definately be under the tree for someone! Thanks!

suzee said...

holy craft-olly that is the cutest thing!! i love it! thank you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails